"What is that feeling when you’re driving away from people and they recede on the plain till you see their specks dispersing? – it’s the too-huge world vaulting us, and it’s good-bye. But we lean forward to the next crazy venture beneath the skies."
— Jack Kerouac, On the Road
We're Rebecca and Jared, two people passionate about making memories together.
Our travels have taken us from waterfalls in Iceland to the mountains of Haiti. A few years ago we embarked on a month-long road trip from the Mojave Desert to Mount Rainier to New York City. After 30 days and 7,000 miles on the road together, we had an idea: what if we spent a year and a half backpacking around Latin America?
After a couple of years, what seemed like a dream has become our reality. In September 2017, we hopped on a one-way flight to Mexico City with the plan to say "yes" to every opportunity that greeted us.
We promised each other a lifetime of novelty, support, adventure, and wide-eyed moments. Here's to making good on that promise as we lean forward to the next crazy venture.
lover of the desert, brujería, salsa dancing, spicy food, sweet treats, wildflowers, the Pacific Ocean, and cats
lover of the mountains, dark coffee, hip-hop, board games, rock climbing, gardening, writing, and cats
Our Rules to Travel By
- Eat like the locals. Always order everything con todo.
- Measure the journey in memories, not miles. Remember what your trip is about.
- You can't see everything. Dive deeply in a few places rather than shallow in many.
- Flirt with places. Allow your heart to fall in love.
- Not every moment will be exciting. There will be rainy days.
- Be humble. There's always something to learn.
- Savor simplicity. Memories don't cost much.
- Find your own path. Don't do tours unless you have to or it enhances the experience.
- Be kind and patient with yourself (and your partner). You'll make mistakes.
- Engage and communicate with locals. Try to learn the language as best you can.
- Be grateful. Cherish the opportunity to be wherever you are.
- Enjoy the ride. Sometimes it's more fun than the destination.
- Be open and curious. Adventure may be dangerous, but routine is lethal.